View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Oct 16, 2017 3:09 pm

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
4L60E Building A Hi-Volume Front Pump 1995 & Later 
Site Admin
Site Admin

This setup will have a faster recovery time on the pressure drop when making the hi-rpm WOT shifts. The clutches and band will last longer. Start with a 1997 & up the back half of the front pump. It will have 13V stamped on the back side of the pump. The back half of the pump has different oil feed and oil exit slots than the 10 vane pumps. Use a new 10 vane rotor or a very good used 7 vane rotor. Always use a new 13 vane slide, as it is different than the 7 or 10 vane slide. It has slightly different oil feed and oil exit slots to go along with the back half of the 13V pump. Use a new slide pin, as they do not wear very well. Always use the TransGo Hi-rpm single priming spring and steel rings in the pump. This will keep up the pressure and volume all the way to 7,800 rpm. Run the rotor and slide clearances at no less than .002" and no more than .003". Flat sand with 400 - 600 grit or finer sandpaper on a granite block or a flat glass surface. Vanes must move smoothly in the vane slots in the rotor. Inner slide vane area must be smooth so the vanes do not try to "catch" on the slide. You can install this 13V setup in a 1995 or 1996 transmissions, without any problems, as long as you use the back half of a 13 vane pump from a 1997 and up unit. If you want to do this to a 1994 and earlier 4L60E or a 700R4 transmission, get a 1997 13V and later back half of the pump and "copy" the back half using a "dremel" or an "end mill" to match the oil feed in and oil exit slots in the pump. Always use the 13 vane slide here. This will make the early pumps "quieter" and the pressure a little smoother at low rpms. 1996 and earlier 10 vane pumps are not as quiet as the late 13 vane pumps are.

Fri Jul 27, 2012 7:31 am

If I get what you're saying is that for a 1994 trans I should modify the pump housing to match the oil feed in and oil exit slots. Also to use the 10 vane rotor with the 13 vane slide. Is that right? Why not use the 13 vane rotor or even use a 13 vane pump?

Mon Oct 15, 2012 10:55 am
Site Admin
Site Admin

The 1993 & 1994 4L60E's are not PWM type pumps. Therefore you cannot use the later pumps which are PWM type. The passages over the TCC area are different. You can make the changes to the back half of the pump on the 93/94 back half. If you have an end mill, or are pretty good with a dremel, you can copy the changes to the earlier pump. I have done this once. Then you can use the 13 vane slide with a 10 or 13 vane rotor. If you are looking for a little smoother pressures under 3,000 rpm, then the 13 vane rotor will be a little smoother and quieter than the stock 10 vane setup. If you are building it for higher rpm and more horsepower, then the 10 vane rotor will give a little more volume at the higher rpm's.

Sat Jan 24, 2015 4:18 am

I've posted this in the 700 section however I'll ask this question here as it very closely fits the title subject.

Is it possible to add a 13 vane rotor to an otherwise OEM 10 vane pump assembly? My preference would be to keep the pump housing in stock form (without modification) however is it necessary to include a 13 vane slide to go along with the rotor? For what it's worth, I've come across a 13 vane billet rotor that I would like to incorporate.

The trans is a 1991 TH700 pulled from a 2 WD truck. The application is a street/strip Camaro with 450 HP/450 ft/lbs torque.

Thank you for your time and I look forward to your reply.

Thu Nov 24, 2016 9:07 am
Site Admin
Site Admin

If you want to use the 13 vane setup here you will need to do the above modifications to get it to work as designed, otherwise, just stick with the 10 vane setup.

Tue Dec 06, 2016 2:47 pm

It's not so much wanting to use a 13 vane setup but rather just substituting the 13 vane billet rotor I've purchased. I was hoping it would be just a drop in replacement (as advertised). I wasn't expecting a benefit one way or another other than having a better billet part in place of the factory casting. At most I anticipated replacing the slide with a 13 vane part but it doesn't look like it'll be that simple. Getting a back half of a 13V pump and asking my rebuilder to work out the modifications isn't something that I'm prepared to ask him to do.
Thanks for that Dana. I'll have to pass the news along.

Tue Dec 06, 2016 7:45 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

If you want to use the 13V billet setup here, I am sure that it won't matter that much in your case here.

Mon Dec 12, 2016 6:19 pm
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]