View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:04 am

Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 
Built 700R4 slipping reverse. 

I have a second hand drag race built 700R4 in my 86 Trans Am. I know it has some sonnax parts in it. Supposed to be good to 700 HP. Using a 3000 stall non-locking converter (came with it). Works GREAT in 1st through 4th. Chirps hard into second.

It was built for an 83 Malibu drag car. Used for around 6 months of daily driving - don't think it was raced much. Car was parted out due to non trans related failure.

Didn't seem to have any reverse issues at first. I'm not kind to the thing of course. And sin not sure how much abuse these are supposed to take in reverse....

It slips in reverse. It will go, and it goes better when cold. When hot it seems to shudder and certainly isn't burning tires when I punch it in reverse like it does in D.

It sat for about 5 years in dry storage. Perhaps that's part of the issue. I have verified fluid level, changed the fluid and filter. Not much metal on the magnet but on top of the filter was what looked like fine brass. Not a ton of it though.

I would like to buy whatever parts and tools I need to correct this. Obviously since the trans is highly modified I will probably have to pull it apart first yes? The place that built it has been no help - I am not the guy they sold it to.

I am an accomplished mechanic and I own a 5 bay shop so shouldn't be a problem to do whatever I need. I don't generally work on autos, though I would like to get some experience. I have done a ton of manual transmissions, etc.

What tools should I get for complete tear down and rebuild? And what parts am I likely to need? And can you supply tools and parts for this endeavour.

Thanks,
Rick

Sat Sep 02, 2017 9:50 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

First, when you had the pan off, did you find clutch material on the bottom of the pan away from the pan magnet? If you did, did it cover the entire bottom of the pan, or just a little dust on the bottom? Is the TV cable tight at WOT? It is possible depending on what you reply with that the TransGo .300" intermediate/reverse boost valve might solve this.
Dana

Sat Sep 09, 2017 6:39 pm
Reply to topic   [ 2 posts ]