View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Oct 16, 2017 3:10 pm

Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 
What parts do i need to replace 

2006 gmc sierra z71 with 5.3 here. About 150k miles. I have some simple bolt ons and a tune that revs a little over 6k, which may or may not be of importance here.

Was driving slowly through a residential area and felt it start slipping all of a sudden.. few seconds later i have zero movement in any forward gears or reverse. Pushed it to the side of the road and ran off with a buddy who luckily lived very close by to get a chain. When we came back i started it, and it works again. Backed up and turned around to go to his house. At the 1-2 shift, i felt some kind of pop/bang, and the truck was acting like it was in neutral again. Coasted to his house, but no gears were working. Let it sit for a few more, and reverse worked so i backed it in his yard. At this point i was almost late for a prior arrangement and had to leave town for the weekend. Over the weekend he says he tried it a little and fwd and reverse gears worked momentarily then stopped working. There is no leakage. Trans fluid was looking pretty worn out. Some guys i have spoken with suggest changing the fluid, and that the trans pump may be going. Any idea whats wrong and what all do i need to change?

Mon Oct 02, 2017 12:51 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

It sounds like the filter is clogged, that is why it will run for a little bit, then quit. If there is not a lot of clutch and or band material in the bottom of the pan, changing fluid might save it. Make sure you use the filter that has the letters or word SPX, microfelt, SP or filtran on the filter somewhere. Or a big letter "A" that kind of looks like an "F" on top of the filter. If there is a lot of material on the bottom of the pan, this most likely will not fix it, and the transmission needs to be rebuilt most likely.

Fri Oct 06, 2017 12:34 am
Reply to topic   [ 2 posts ]