View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:52 pm

Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 
4l60e rebuild now no 4th gear 

This will be a little lengthy but here is the back story. 99 silverado 4x4. Transmission lost 2nd and 4th gears. Pulled unit and took to an acquaintance who was previously a gm trans tech. Ordered master rebuild kit with upgrades frictions, beast sunshell, ac Delco solenoid and harness, sonnax 3rd accumulator check valve, torque converter, and upgraded 13 vane pump.

After install I had no 3rd or 4th gear. Turns out rebuilder left out the check ball over 3rd accumulator check valve. He came out and installed with tranny in truck. Upon test drive I now had 3rd. Not gonna lie I got excited....but no 4th gear. Scanner shows 4th commanded solenoid I proper on off sequence. Tcc will engage and disengage when brakes are hit. Trans works perfect except no 4th. I did find one of the seals o 2 -4 servo to wrong.oring. replaced seals and orings still no 4th. He says he believes it to be an internal issue and I feel it is a pressure problem. Any ideas would be appreciated before I take it back to him because he is convinced it isn't his fault and I have a shorted harness that fried 4th but I have a clean pan and very little friction material in fluid.

Mon Oct 30, 2017 7:07 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

There is no 3-4 solenoid, as there are a 1-2 & 2-3 shift solenoid. You will need to put a 0-300 psi. pressure gauge on this and get some readings. Since he built it, it is his responsibility to help here. If the valve body was torn down, and the 3-4 relay valve in the valve body is installed backwards, then this can have create a no 4th gear condition. There are other things that can cause this, but a pressure reading will help chase this down. Once he sees the pressure readings, he should know where to start on this problem. If he cannot help with the pressure readings, then try TransGo with the readings. 626 443-7451 8-4 PST. This is their technical department.

Tue Oct 31, 2017 6:23 pm
Reply to topic   [ 2 posts ]