View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 1:48 pm

Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 
Differences between V6 and V8 700R4/ 

Hey people,

I have sourced a 700R4 for my car, but not too sure if it originally came from a V6 or a V8 - is there any way to tell? Or put another way, what is the difference between them? This will be going on a small V8 in my car (an Australian Holden 308, with a Chev bolt pattern.)

The code stamped on the side is 7YMM189A if that helps any. Otherwise, is there something I can look for inside the box?

I intend to completely rebuild the box, so if it's a matter of different clutches or hard parts that's not a big problem. On the other hand if the box simply won't work, I don't want to waste any money on it.

Thanks in advance!
Andrew

Sun Oct 14, 2012 7:07 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

If it is a V-8 bolt pattern, then you are fine. If you are intending on using a TransGo Performance Shift kit here. Here is what you will need to look for. If this is an early 1987 unit (first design valve body), then the Performance TransGo kit will most likely present problems. If it is a late 1987 unit (second design valve body), then the TransGo Performance Shift kit will work fine.

Wed Oct 17, 2012 4:55 am
Reply to topic   [ 2 posts ]